Need a High Quality Camera Strap for D4S

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
hikerdoc
Regular MemberPosts: 440Gear list
Like?
Re: Need a High Quality Camera Strap for D4S
In reply to Cliff Fujii, 8 months ago

Cliff Fujii wrote:

I asked Nikon Service is there were any issues with using a sling type strap that screwed into the tripod socket (al la Black Rapid) a number of years ago. The service tech looked through some papers and said using that type of strap would not void the warranty. Apparently Nikon has gone one step further and collaborated with Black Rapid to make a sling type strap. This strap is a bit different from the usual Black Rapid stuff. The way I look at it, I can use it with my RRS B2-FABN by screwing the adapter into the 1/4-20 thread hole in the RRS clamp. I suspect that I should get results similar to using the CS FS-Pro.

I did some looking and could not find any official document or technical paper that said that using a sling type strap would void the warranty. With that in mind, I got the CS FS-Pro. I noticed a lot of Canon professionals use the Black Rapid strap, so I guess there might be something to it.

-- hide signature --

Cliff

There is apparently no set answer from Nikon as I asked the same question of Nikon support in 2011 and was told that the camera should not be carried on these slings, that lens and camera should be carried in a bag if conventional strap mount was not optimal, and that only this way could they "guarantee" performance. We have all heard of the term "impact damage". I just referred to the emails in my Nikon account.

I remain leery of the RRS option wherein one has a ring mounted carabiner mounted to the socket screw mounted to the RRS clamp mounted to the L-plate mounted to the tripod socket. That represents 5 potential failure points. My BR is long gone. The RRS clamp now attached to one of my monopods.

DWR

hikerdoc's gear list:hikerdoc's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow