Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
needmoretoys
Regular MemberPosts: 400Gear list
Like?
Re: SL1 vs EOS M for my daughter
In reply to R2D2, 8 months ago

R2D2 wrote:

needmoretoys wrote:

I don't think that the SL1 is any less capable than the T5i as a primary camera. They are both less capable than the 70D, but they are basically equal. Each has small advantages over the other.

On paper they may look quite similar, but that swivel screen really opens up new possibilities for shooting angles. I just love it, and now feel incredibly constrained when shooting a camera that doesn't have one (ie Canon 6D).

My FZ200 has a swivel screen and I never use it. The pro cameras don't have a swivel screen and pro photographers somehow get great photos with a fixed screen.

Another feature that I take complete advantage of is the faster 5 FPS vs the 4 FPS in the SL1. In fact, one of the main reasons I never bought a Rebel previous to the T4i was the slow frame rate. I shoot bursts a lot, not only for BIFs and Sports, but also in low light (ala "Poor Man's Image Stabilization"). One FPS may not seem like a lot when simply looking at the spec, but in actual shooting it makes quite a difference (more so than going from say 7 FPS to 8).

If you need 5 fps to get a good photo while 4 fps doesn't do it then you are doing something wrong. What frame rate do you think Ansel Adams or NG photographers of 30 years ago used?

And speaking of low light, when the built-in flash is needed, the 700D's is twice as powerful.

True, but if you want to get the best flash photos you will use an external flash. By the way, how powerful is the built in flash on the 7D or 1Dx?

These aren't merely cosmetic differences like the size of a grip or differences in control layout. I contend that these features (or lack of) will actually affect how and what someone shoots, and the results they will see.

I guess that's why pro photographers can't shoot great photos without the above T5i features.

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

needmoretoys's gear list:needmoretoys's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow