Going to the toilets... what lens should I take ?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Tuanglen
Junior MemberPosts: 40
Like?
Re: Going to the toilets... what lens should I take ?
In reply to JP Scherrer, 8 months ago

As a new forum member, I haven't yet asked a question such as, "What lenses would be useful in Japan?", but I'm happy that others DO ask such questions. I'd rather hear advice from multiple people with real-life experience than rely on my own "imagination" about lenses I might not be aware of and places I've never been.

And as for searching for the answer, I agree that that's the way to start, but it appears as though search here is implemented in such a way that a search for "best lenses for Japan" would produce mountains of comments responding to comments that mention that a certain lens is best because it was made in Japan.

When the search does yield a hit, you get the benefit of old advice. A photographer who once recommended Lens X but has long since sold it and begun using Lens Y, which he found much better in practice, goes on recommending Lens X to anyone who can manage to find the old thread in the search engine.

I'd rather have the benefit of current opinions about currently available options. Something I hadn't "imagined" could save me LOTS of money or significantly improve my results on a once-in-a-lifetime trip.

I hope those questions keep coming. If there comes a time when I don't think I'll personally learn anything new from a particular thread, I'll just skip over it. If I reach a point where I don't think I'm learning much from ANY of the threads, I might take a break and read other forums for a while, but I'll come back eventually as long as there are still new threads appearing with the latest ideas about the old questions.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow