Big and little critters, and other stuff with the 100-300 mm

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Ron Evers
Senior MemberPosts: 1,074Gear list
Like?
Re: More 100-300, including a few using ext. tubes ...
In reply to GeorgianBay1939, 4 months ago

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

Ron Evers wrote:

But it IS possible to dig in for hidden birds using the smallest area focus of the GH2, just more difficult ...

Another unknown birdie...

I do not know if you have it on your camera but I use S-AF + MF & that helps a lot when encountering AF not getting the target as in your shot above. When the AF is confused by branches or other, I can just turn the focus ring to lock onto the subject as seen below.

EXCELLENT ADVICE. I could've easily done that above and also with the Trumpeter Swan.

Click View Original Size.

Bunny in the brush.

-- hide signature --

The wood is clear between the knots.

I like those kind of shots, much more interesting than the typical "zoo" shots that almost look posed!

I think that I'll be using that technique a lot. It is much more accurate than trying to find an open spot the same distance as the target. Good stuff.

Tom

Sometimes the small focus box works.  This shot I took yesterday was through brush between me & the chippy but I found a window through it & using the small focus box got the shot without resorting to manual focus.  Most of the near brush just disappeared from the shot.

Click View Original.

Back-lit Chippy

-- hide signature --

The wood is clear between the knots.

Ron Evers's gear list:Ron Evers's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow