X-E1 how bad is the focus system?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
mistermejia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,826Gear list
Like?
Buy the XE1 NOW! It is at $699.
In reply to forpetessake, 5 months ago

forpetessake wrote:

It's not bad after the latest firmware update. The camera in most normal shooting conditions can lock focus quickly, though sometimes is does misfocus. I didn't have any difficulties focusing at night with only street lights available:

It won't track focus, but otherwise you can focus on moving objects as long as they don't move out of focus by the time camera snaps the picture:

-- hide signature --

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter -- Winston Churchill

Yes, I have taken pictures of my kids running like this as well.  Under (plenty) of light the XE1 is perfect, the challenge is in lower light.  But you should be fine and i am sure you will like it.  If not simple return it.  You have nothing to loose.  The price amazingly just dropped even more than last time.

Where the AF will have trouble and it will be hunting is under the scenario below in low light.  Do you see how low the light is in the background of this beauties?  That's where the XE1 AF will have a hard time locking on the subject.  My wife's phone locks AF, but not the XE1 so you better think if you are going to buy the XE1 as your main camera.  

mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow