New RX100 to have 24-70mm f1.8-2.8 lens!

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,967Gear list
Like?
Re: New RX100 to have 24-70mm f1.8-2.8 lens!
In reply to SHood, 5 months ago

SHood wrote:

technic wrote:

Agree as well; 24-100 would have been better but if they improved the corner quality I'm happy with 24-70.

Of course I'm now extra-curious what the Nikon P8000 is going to offer (tilt screen, EVF?), how much bigger / heavier it is (similar aperture but much longer tele range) and how the image quality compares between the two. Let's hope we hear more from Nikon soon

Remember the Panny LX3 from 6 years ago (24-60mm f/2.0-f/2.8)? RX100-3 has slightly better lens spec and a MUCH bigger sensor

Amazing to see how the fast fixed zoom has progressed over the past few years. I will wait for the P8000 before deciding what would replace my RX100M1. Olympus is also coming with a large sensor fixed zoom but I haven't seen any confirmed dates yet.

I don't want to go backwards in IQ with video so it the P8000 or RX100M3 would be the likely solutions.

Yes, quite a change in a few years but much of the progress is due to in-camera processing that enables more compact and affordable lenses. This often means lower IQ in the borders/corners, so it is not a free lunch. It will be interesting to see what compromise the latest big sensor compacts (G1X II, RX100-3, P8000) offer, especially regarding optics quality. We won't know for sure until all of them are really available, could take 1-2 months (for the P8000).

technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow