Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
pmow
Contributing MemberPosts: 766Gear list
Like?
Why I'm getting F-ed
3 months ago

I wrote this whole post out but it's too much.

Current: NEX-6 with 35/1.8 is my go-to combo.

Candidate: A7 or A7R with FE 55/1.8

To make a long story short, I was really not impressed with the A7R I rented. Where I normally shoot, the camera lens combo is much bigger, and mostly just longer - this is a big reason I got a compact system in the first place. Minolta MF lenses were meh, not what I expected in terms of IQ. All told the camera left me cold. I thought a6000 but I'm still waiting for even a whiff of new glass. Finally, I keep reading about them, so I thought heck, I'll rent a Fuji. I rented an X-T1 and the 35/1.4.

After using this thing, I basically am cringing at using an A7/A7R, and decided to jump ship. IQ and noise are surprisingly comparable. I'd heard about the handling, and while I always defended Sony, man, this is awesome. It isn't just minimum shutter speed. It's a whole slew of features which make it a pleasure to shoot - and after all, I shoot for myself, not for clients.

Finally, I researched the X system. It's a bit pricey but the glass is also faster. For this reason I considered it as an alternative to A7R and the 55mm. I chose it because the Sony roadmap is clear, and I don't like Sony's APS-C lineup either. Where is the 27mm pancake? Anyway, I realize each person has their boats that need floating...I just really didn't expect to enjoy a different way of taking photos.

I'm going to miss:

Flawless apps - Fuji's doesn't work all that well after 30 minutes of an IT guy troubleshooting it.

In-camera HDR. Sometimes it's nice.

Smaller body.

Not caring about taking a camera in dangerous situations. I've dropped the NEX-6 and NEX-5N and I still take them wherever. I might care a little more with a $1200 body.

Near-silent AF motors.  The Fuji is lightning fast, but it is loud.

pmow's gear list:pmow's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +3 more
Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a6000 Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow