Neck strap annoying you or risking camera damage? Try a finger strap!

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mrbenji
Regular MemberPosts: 250Gear list
Like?
Neck strap annoying you or risking camera damage? Try a finger strap!
8 months ago

When I bought my NEX-5 a couple of years ago I quickly got frustrated with how unprotected my camera & lens were on a neck strap -- a simple action like turning too quickly or leaning forward would cause the camera to swing wildly around, far too often smacking into an object like a table edge or my kids' heads. Add to that the danger of an unattended camera's neck strap getting snagged by a passing person or animal and tumbling to the ground, the extra bulk, etc...

I saw a blog review recommending the Gariz Finger Strap, ordered one, and have never looked back. It's absolutely perfect for my needs -- I transferred it to my A6000 before I even started shooting with it.

The great thing is that my camera stays protected in the top compartment of my camera bag until I expect to start shooting. Then I just slip my index finger into the strap and pull the camera out... the natural slight bend of a relaxed finger is all that's needed to lock the strap into place with my hand in the perfect ready-to-shoot position. When I'm ready to take a shot, I just lift my camera and shoot... no fumbling or grip adjusting required.

I can comfortably hold my camera that way for hours, without the fatigue I'd get from holding it in my hand without the strap.... the strap just makes a secure anchor point, allowing the weight of the camera to be supported by all 5 of my relaxed fingers without fear of dropping the camera. Even someone as clumsy as I am is generally aware of where their hands are at all times, and I've absolutely never whacked my camera into anything while using a finger strap.

When I want to put my camera away I just lower it into the bag and straighten my finger to easily remove it from the strap.

Some pics:

View: original size

(A sidenote: the Gariz Finger Strap is perfect for cameras like the A6000, NEX-7, & NEX-6, which have D-shaped strap rings. My NEX-5 had weird, rigid, vertical fin-shaped eyelets, so I actually had to MacGuyver up a bit of a hack to get the strap to work, involving a zip tie and Instamorph.)

mrbenji's gear list:mrbenji's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +5 more
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow