Odd G1X MK2 focusing quirk

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
grey-ghost
Regular MemberPosts: 146Gear list
Like?
Re: Odd G1X MK2 focusing quirk
In reply to shg, 8 months ago

shg wrote:

I have the focusing problem too where the camera can't focus and I get yellow focus frame. This happened with me indoor with tungsten light when I was using macro and again the other night in a club with low lights where the camera could not focus even the focus assistant light was on. Solution was to focus and recompose and this was very annoying, it took at least 4-5 seconds trying different focus area until successful focus was obtained. This happened several times with different objects at different locations in the same club.

I am frequently baffled by a forum post and thread that describes the direct opposite of my experience with a camera - and this one is so much the opposite of my experience that I have decided to respond with another view.

I took the G1X MK II test shot below in our basement rec. room (and it is a test shot, using the most readily available low lit object) - no lights on at all and the only illumination coming from north facing french doors about 18 feet away to the left (and I might add on a very dark and rainy day.)  As can be figured from the exif data, the ambient light was about 13 stops below sunny f/16!!!  Shutter assist beam was NOT used, focus frame was set at default location (middle of image), focus was quick and accurate (slight image blur is likely due to shutter shock, camera movement at low shutter speed or extremely narrow DoF.)

Granted the subject has distinct lines and reasonable tonal contrast, but it is certainly a low light  example.  Am I missing something?  What more could one ask for in terms of low light focusing performance?

Low light focus test.

-- hide signature --

Carpe Diem,
Mike

grey-ghost's gear list:grey-ghost's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow