I feel misled: Panasonic 20mm f1.7 II AF is SO SLOW!

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
RickPick
Contributing MemberPosts: 847Gear list
Like?
Re: I feel misled: Panasonic 20mm f1.7 II AF is SO SLOW!
In reply to Wesley Byrne, 4 months ago

Wesley Byrne wrote:

RickPick wrote:

You shouldn't expect A/F miracles from a 5 year old design pancake lens. I did an informal test once between this lens and the Olympus 45mm, which is acknowledged to be quite fast. I tried this with a range of light levels. The difference in AFS, provided no hunting was induced, was barely noticeable.

I noticed the difference. I had read that the AF was slower than newer lenses, it also misleading comments like yours saying that there is no noticeable difference in AF speed in real world use (there is).

Yes, it is a little slower, but we are talking hundredths of a second - apart from the lack of CAF and where there is hunting. I do not want to mislead anybody but am just reporting what I myself tried with my own copy. For my own use I never had a problem with the lens and in fact I like it and do find it versatile due to its natural focal length (meaning similar to the human eye view) and bright aperture. If it isn't suitable for your use then sell it and get another one - but please don't complain that you were "mislead", as if there is a conspiracy against you. This is not a "one size fits all" situation by any means.

Thanks,

Rick

RickPick's gear list:RickPick's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow