Birds in Flight, A6000, Wetlands...AF-C (55-210, DH1758)

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 22,155Gear list
Like?
Re: Doug,
In reply to Juhaz, 8 months ago

Juhaz wrote:

RonFrank wrote:

That might help or not. I have not really looked at these. I am guessing the orig price was cheap, like around $25... but that is an educated guess.

Nowhere near that cheap. Based on little archive.org digging it had a list price of $150 and street price of something between that and $100 depending on time.

They must not have been very popular as Sony discontinued them.

Doesn't really tell much about popularity, since it was originally meant as an add-on for a long-since discontinued DSC-H1 bridge camera, no point making accessories if you're no longer making the base product.

Precisely correct...I actually bought mine in 2006, when I had the H1 superzoom...it was about $140 at the time, and was widely considered one of the best optical quality teleconverters around...it was in high demand not just from Sony superzoom shooters, but also from Canon, Panasonic, and Olympus superzoom shooters.  The Sony DH and Oly T-con were usually ranked as the best of the converters made.

The discontinuation had only to do with Sony's changes to their superzoom models, which caused them to require different threading - once the H1 and H5 series was replaced, the DH was discontinued.  They were never meant to attach to NEX and mirrorless models - but some of us who had an old one sitting in the closet from superzoom days decided to pull them out and give them a try on our mirrorless camera lenses, and found they were surprisingly good - and when we posted our results, that's then the used market for these became heated again.  Pretty amazing for a product discontinued 7-8 years ago to be fetching more than the original selling price on the used market!

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Al,New
Sam,New
Ron,New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow