Lab D
Senior MemberPosts: 5,774Gear list
Like?
Zebras, Peaking and magnification
In reply to amtberg, 8 months ago

amtberg wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Hi Lab,

Hope you don't mind some partly off-topic (not about action shooting) questions about your new GH4.

Apparently, one of the new features of the GH4 (but a long established one on dedicated video cameras) is the Zebra Pattern, which, if I understand things correctly, is a zebra-like pattern indicating over-exposure in those parts of the frame where it is shown. It thus seems to offer something like the live-view "blinkies" (they do not actually blink) that has long been available on Oly bodies.

Questions:

Does this work for stills too, not just for video?

Does it warn for under-exposure too, not just over-exposure?

Can it provide these warnings even for very small areas? If so how (if it is a pattern requiring a minimum of spatial extension we are talking about)? On the Olys, a solid color is used (orange for highlights, blue for shadows) so that the information about where you have exposure problems can be made very fine-grained.

Thanks in advance for your help.

It works for stills and video. You can store two different settings and set different levels for each in 5% increments, e.g., Zebra 1 90%, Zebra 2 105%.

The pattern is relatively tight so it seems to work fine for small areas. You might miss something *really* small like a pinpoint reflection of the sun, but I can't imagine wanting to expose for that anyway.

There's no underexposure warning.

I haven't used them too much but for stills I have Zebras, peaking and that magnification window all turned on at the same time.  With the large view finder I think these will be very helpful.  The magnification window and peaking really let you quickly fine tune focus while still being able to see the subject in the whole frame.

Lab D's gear list:Lab D's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Wow!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow