Decided To Upgrade... To The V2

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
GXRuser
Contributing MemberPosts: 656
Like?
Re: Decided To Upgrade... To The V2
In reply to iamthenewguy, 8 months ago

tomhongkong wrote:

I have been trying to decide on this as well, but rerally am not sure of the advantages of V2.

Many reviews said that the V2 IQ is not improved (may even be a bit worse)

Unless you flip between modes a lot the PASM dial does not buy very much (I have my V1 dial taped up, which looks a bit cludgy but has solved that problem).

Then there is the fact that I have several V1 batteries which would be useless

I have an SB N5 flash for V1, so even though it is convenient to have the in built V2 flash it does not really pay its way in terms of the extra bulk

GAS pushes me towards the V2, but common sense says I am better off staying with V1

Convince me, someone!

tom

If the V1 is doing everything you need then save your money. For me though, the upgrade I did almost a year ago to the V2 has been a decision that I've stayed completely satisfied with. I'm sure I've written this out before, but you asked to be convinced so here is the good and bad as I see it.

Good:

1. V2 function button - although not as good as the V3 by having 2/3 dedicated function buttons, it's nice to be able to control ISO, AF type, AF area, metering, and WB with the click of one button and a little scrolling of a wheel with my right thumb. All these parameters require more time to change on the V1 as well as a menu that takes you out of the composition. 
  2. Auto Review - Can be disabled. Enough said.
  3. Ergonomics - Subjective, but I prefer the V2 to the V1. I added the franiec grip to the V1 early on and loved it but the V2's grip is superior (IMO) because it's built in and it's actually grippy. 
  4. Built in flash - I use the SB-N7 when I'm carrying all my gear and out for a more serious photos session. When I am not specifically going out with a photographic purpose I like to slap the pancake 10mm f/2.8 lens on the V2 so having a built in fill flash is very handy.
  5. Zoom = power on/off - I love my primes, but I also use the 6.7-13mm and the 30-110mm. When using a zoom lens this feature is really quite nice. I didn't really think much of it when I was upgrading but as I got used to it I began to like it. I'm not sure if it's just my feeling or if it's real, but it seems like batteries last longer and it's a pretty big visual cue that the camera is either on or off. 
  6. PASM Dial - I know you said you don't change modes often, and neither do I, but having one is still nicer than not. Especially when using the built in flash, I often find myself switching from A mode to S mode and not having to menu dive is nice. 
  7. Auto ISO - It's nice to know what ISO the camera is choosing before taking the picture. It updates on the LCD/EVF unlike the V1.

Bad:

1. No intervelometer - If you use this feature a lot with the V1 then don't upgrade because it's simply gone. I had never used it so I didn't miss it, but I still think they shouldn't have taken a feature out that they had already given us.
  2. Ergonomics - It's actually a bit smaller than the V1 (excluding the EVF hump) so if you have big hands it might make handling a bit awkward. This is listed as both a "Good" and a "Bad" because it's so subjective that I wanted to give both sides a voice. Someone on this forum complained that their hand cramped when they were using it, but I've never had that problem and actually prefer the V2 (as said earlier) to the V1.
  3. AF assist light and IR receiver - I usually have the AF assist turned off and don't use my remote too often, but it's sort of crazy that they put both of these in the gap between the lens and the built in grip. Depending on the lens, the AF assist lamp can lose a quarter of its light to your lens and another quarter to a finger or two stuck in front of it. Also, when doing a group shot, if you aren't centered on the camera the IR receiver is sometimes hard to hit. This was one of the first fixes I noticed when I saw the official V3 pictures for the first time.
  4. Silent mode - I'm used to this so it doesn't really bother me much now, but silent mode is either on or off. This means that you have a choice of either AF acquire sound + mechanical shutter or no AF sound + electronic shutter (no sound). Because auto review can now be disabled, I wished that I could turn off the AF sound but still use the mechanical shutter. No go. So sometimes it's difficult to tell if I have taken a picture at all.
  5. As you said, different batteries. The good news is that they are smaller but have a good life. I know the CIPA rating is pretty low (somewhere around 300) but I've done a full day at the zoo with the 30-110mm with VR on taking between 400-500 frames and not gone through a full battery. I have one spare and I've never actually had to switch one in the middle of the day. But, if you get the V2 and eventually get a V3, then you'll have to change batteries again. This is not good and seems wasteful, but it is what it is.

This is what I can think of off the top of my head, but there is undoubtably more differences between the two. One thing I want to add is that early reports of the V2 said that the EVF was jerky. The latest firmware update fixed this and for the most part it works just like the V1's, so if you are happy with that one then I can't imagine you disliking the V2's.

One point that was missed ...

V1 has a second IR port on the back of the camera.

This is a very useful location for use on a tripod since all 1 Nikon cameras do not support a wired shutter release.

I am disappointed that Nikon removed the rear IR port from the V3 and my V2.

It must be noted that there is Wifi remote for stills with an adapter for the V2 and built in to the V3. I just think that a wired remote would be more reliable.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ISONew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow