CarrySpeed users - Material failure (suggest you check immediately)

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
amateurphotographer
Regular MemberPosts: 218
Like?
Re: CarrySpeed users - Material failure (suggest you check immediately)
In reply to Cliff Fujii, 8 months ago

Cliff Fujii wrote:

I was using the FS Pro with my D800 camera with the 24-120 f/4 or 70-200 f/2.8 lenses. That was before I knew that there was a 5lb limit on weight imposed by the manufacturer. I tried all of their plates including the one with the swivel ball (which I disliked the most). What really irritated me was that I had to remove my RRS camera plate when using the FS Pro and the CarrySpeed Arca Swiss compatible adapter was not really great. The CS camera plate was designed to fit all cameras so it actually fit none. I tried to put the CS ball on the RRS camera plate but it was a pain to remove the ball when I wanted to mount the camera on a tripod. I finally gave up and modified my Version 1 strap to take the RRS B2-FABN clamp. It worked really great. I had a hitch on my FS Pro so the I could shorten the strap when I needed to so that it wouldn't bump. when I started using the camera, I would lengthen the strap and had no issues in bring up the strap to the shooting position.

Most people would not care but I did at the time. The reason why you got the wear in the ball and socket was that your camera, lens, and flash weighed over 5lbs. I sometimes took a ThinkTank waist pack and placed the lens and camera in it while I was moving around. I didn't do it often but it does work. The RRS clamp does weigh more than the CS plate and ball so if you are sensitive to weight, this might bother you. I usually planned my moves and didn't often change my plans. If you are a sports photographer, I can see where moving around quickly might be necessary. Since I never had to do this, I really can't give an objective opinion.

-- hide signature --

Cliff

Thanks Cliff for your insight.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow