Big and little critters, and other stuff with the 100-300 mm

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
GeorgianBay1939
Senior MemberPosts: 2,048Gear list
Like?
Re: More 100-300, including a few using ext. tubes ...
In reply to Alan_W1, 3 months ago

Alan_W1 wrote:

Just my honest opinion {feel free to ignore}, but with regards to the bird images, i think you are asking far too much from both camera and lens at those sorts of shooting distances {in those conditions}....the result being a noticeable lack of contrast/detail/saturation, and the resulting crops producing little more than record shots.

I assume that you mean the Sandhill Crane shots.  contrast/detail/saturation were not cranked in RAW.  Those Cranes are amazingly camouflaged.  Very few of the local folks even know that they are here in our fields now as they are distant and camouflaged.   Smart birds.  They are given away by their calls more than their visual presence.

I don't mean to be harsh

Not too harsh at all.  I appreciate your candid opinion.

My suggestion would be to spend plenty of time observing, prior to photographing {maybe 90%/10%}, and methodically plan your best options to capture your subjects, whilst striving to use the full potential of the gear you own.

That is good general advice.  What do you use as a general rule of thumb for the limit of "long shots" for this sort of equipment?  I have no idea what the practical limit is.   I DO know that the closer the better, though!  

just my opinion though

It all helps.  Thank you.

Tom

GeorgianBay1939's gear list:GeorgianBay1939's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow