Since Lightroom is so good, what do you use Photoshop for?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Johanfoto
Senior MemberPosts: 2,880
Like?
Re: Since Lightroom is so good, what do you use Photoshop for?
In reply to skyglider, 5 months ago

skyglider wrote:

That said, I still bought LR because it is easier to tone down highlights and overly bright areas, and lighten shadows, without affecting the midtones much. This is much harder to do in Photoshop. Also the clarity and vibrance adjustments are excellent in LR and harder to achieve in Photoshop. I think the sharpness and noise reduction are also easier to do in LR than in PS.

Funny that this is the reason you bought LR, because that is definitely not true. Just use CameraRAW and you have the exact same capabilities in Photoshop. The LR Develop module is an exact copy of CameraRAW, with just minor differences in the interface. Photoshop CC even offers CameraRAW as a filter now.

My reason to use LR is because it adds DAM capabilities, and because the develop module is better streamlined with those DAM options than if you only use Photoshop / CameraRAW / Bridge. LR is a 'workflow' application, meant to deal with many images at the same time. Even though you can also handle multiple images in CameraRAW, Photoshop is an application that is first and foremost meant to get the best out of one image at a time. They don't compete, they complement each other.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow