Thinking about jumping ship due to poor AF. Any help?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Britney Elvis
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,754
Like?
Re: Thinking about jumping ship due to poor AF. Any help?
In reply to Mike Hiran, 8 months ago

Mike Hiran wrote:

GabrielFFontes wrote:

I am using center point focus, for sure.

Is that the only focus method you use? Do you focus and recompose then? It's worth pointing out that the focus area for center point focus is a LOT bigger than the focus point (the red dot) in the viewfinder. Really, you should post some photos of some shots that illustrate your issues so we can properly help you. Please mention the lenses you might have too - perhaps this may help some of us decipher your issues.

By the way, I have a k30 and for the most part it has been pretty good. I typically use spot select focus and it works well with most lenses until light levels get very low or if I try to focus on areas with low contrast (like a smooth wall or overcast sky) it also will have some problems.

"I have a k30 and for the most part it has been pretty good"

Well that just about sums up Pentax DSLR AF for the 13 years I have owned them... I have heard the K5ll and the K-3 have greatly improved the focus...

But pretty good is about as good I ever got with AF accuracy.
Still enjoying the Kx and K-01 - especially the K-01 but it does not focus fast...
Should also mention that I gave my K100d to a friend to get him back into photography (old film shooter) He used the AF for about a week... he has gone to complete MF now, says at least when he gets it wrong it is on him and not some hocus pocus... 8^)

-- hide signature --

"It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them."
~~ Pierre Beaumarchais~~

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow