I feel misled: Panasonic 20mm f1.7 II AF is SO SLOW!

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Pixnat2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,253Gear list
Like?
I sold it to get the 17mm f/1.8
In reply to Wesley Byrne, 8 months ago

Wesley Byrne wrote:

UPS just delivered my Panasonic 20mm f1.7 II. I had read the reviews and knew the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 autofocus wasn't fast, but I wasn't expecting it to be so unbearably slow. Some here have said that the 20mm f1.7 isn't that slow, and that it autofocuses about as fast as other m43 lenses when large focus adjustments are not needed, but they are wrong. This lens is useless for even slow moving subjects. I am definitely returning this lens.

I know the 20mm f1.7 has many fans, presumably folks who photograph static scenes. In my opinion, compared to the 17mm f1.8 and the 25mm f1.8, the 20mm f1.7 is a dog. Panasonic should be embarrassed for releasing this lens with barely-functional AF.

</end rant>

I bought this lens for the E-P1, but never quite liked it. I wouldn't say that the 20mm f/1.7 is slow, but rather annoying to use. Yes it's sharp, but sharpness is not even across the frame, it has noisy AF operation, PF on Oly cameras older than E-M1 and I didn't liked the bokeh.

I got the 17mm f/1.8 (an FL that I prefer), and really enjoy it. Yes it's a bit less sharp, but nothing to worry about, and it has an even sharpness from center to corner. Moreover it's quiet, fast, and the clutch mechanism makes it a joy to use. I never ever regret the slight loss of sharpness!

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Frederic
http://azurphoto.com/

Pixnat2's gear list:Pixnat2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Canon EOS M Nikon D600 Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow