Posterization

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Sergey_Green
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,285Gear list
Like?
Thanks Mike again ..
In reply to michaeladawson, 8 months ago

michaeladawson wrote:

OK, I opened up your raw file using both CNX2 and with Photoshop CC. I did not really see any posterization with either editor when first opened.

In Photoshop I played around just a little bit with large exposure changes and you can force posterization of those dark green shadow areas. But that required me to do large histogram moves. I have uploaded both of the jpg files to my Dropbox area.

Here is the CNX2 version. Opened in CNX2 with zero adjustments. Then moved to Adobe Photoshop where it was converted to sRGB, 8 bits, and saved as a quality 12 jpg.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10447490/DSC_0858_CNX2.jpg

Here is the Photoshop CC version. Opened in ACR using the Camera Neutral profile. Neutral (linear) tone curve, no sharpening or noise reduction. Inside PS converted to sRGB, 8 bits, saved as quality 12 jpg.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10447490/DSC_0858_Photoshop.jpg

Yes, those look good.

Last night I also tried different RAW converters at home, from Capture One Pro 7, to ACR, to NX-D, and back to NX2, later appears to handle NEFs the best. Also tried different color profiles, again Nikon sRGB 4.0.0.3002 is what it looks it should be from the start. So there is no need to change my work-flow or settings from where those are, yet by merely adding a layer of 20 pixels gaussian blur (ps cs6) I start seeing stair-casing like waves around the areas where tones change.

Another thing, as I recall I did not see this effect when I used D200/300 cameras, unless I pushed the images almost to the extremes. It is like these large D800 files are difficult for the hardware to handle, could this be so? I have plenty of ram on my machine, and with rather fast CPU combination. Graphic card?

-- hide signature --

- sergey

Sergey_Green's gear list:Sergey_Green's gear list
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ThxNew
thxNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow