Since Lightroom is so good, what do you use Photoshop for?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
skyglider
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,191Gear list
Like?
Re: Since Lightroom is so good, what do you use Photoshop for?
In reply to Sutherland, 8 months ago

Sutherland wrote:

Mark,

Thanks for the excellent link (and for your detailed reply in the earlier thread). My purpose here is somewhat different from the other thread though. For those photographers who use both LR and PS, I'm interested in those adjustments or post-processing techniques that are made in PS, presumably because PS does a better job than LR for that particular adjustment. For example, in retouching a portrait, in my experience LR gets very slow and buggy if you apply too many adjustments with the spot removal tool and/or the adjustment brush. With PS, that is not an issue.

1. For correcting facial blemishes, Lightroom is not even close to Photoshop. Using LR, I struggle to get facial blemish corrections to be imperceptible to the point where I just give up and go to Photoshop. In Photoshop 7 or CS2, I can correct facial blemishes VERY much easier and faster using the clone and healing brush tools so that the corrections are imperceptible to the eye.  Yes LR can make some blemish corrections imperceptible to the eye but not all.  Photoshop can make them ALL imperceptible.

2. In Photoshop I can correct sagging skin under the chin which is impossible to do using LR.

3. In Photoshop I can straighten (rotate) an image that has important detail close to the edges of the image and have the crop include the canvas. Then I can clone parts of the image over the canvas to hide the canvas. This is impossible to do in LR.

There are many other things that I do in Photoshop as they come up, that cannot be done in LR.

That said, I still bought LR because it is easier to tone down highlights and overly bright areas, and lighten shadows, without affecting the midtones much. This is much harder to do in Photoshop. Also the clarity and vibrance adjustments are excellent in LR and harder to achieve in Photoshop. I think the sharpness and noise reduction are also easier to do in LR than in PS.

If Adobe upgraded LR 5 to do items 1 and 3 above like Photoshop can, it would make LR a HUGE amount better in my opinion.

Sky

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow