Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GeorgianBay1939
Senior MemberPosts: 2,484Gear list
Like?
Big and little critters, and other stuff with the 100-300 mm
7 months ago

I spent a nice couple of days riding around in the truck with the 100-300 mounted on the GH2.  All  hand-held, some propping.  Here are results and observations.

1  This gal was watching some ducks cruising out in the Inlet.

2   Pair of Ring Necked Ducks

3   Followed by a female Northern Shoveler, with no male shoveler in sight.

4   Castor canadensis comes by checking on the action ...

5  Departure

6  Sandhill Cranes close to my farm.  Heavily cropped, 220 meters away.

7   visiting Mallards.  230+ meters

8   Pileated woodpecker mom checks out the action.  10m

9  Meanwhile, back at the Sandhill Field another fellow shows up for the social gathering ...

10   O sole mio!  Duet of "rattling" Sandhill Cranes

Sandhill Crane "rattling": http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/sandhill_crane/sounds

11  Unknown hawk at 450 meters.

I need some practice (and information) on how to capture these birds in flight.  I am using SAF,  getting a focus zone and try to lock it.  But I lose lock whenever birds are in front of high contrast trees.

I usually select small square for focus, but should probably learn to use Pattern Focus with BIF??  I dunno.

I have a few others that might be of interest to long lens shooters (including some very small stuff that I used the extension tubes on).  I'll add other images to this thread as (or if) it develops.

Good challenges with these guys!   Advice?

Tom

GeorgianBay1939's gear list:GeorgianBay1939's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +7 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow