I feel misled: Panasonic 20mm f1.7 II AF is SO SLOW!

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Jacques Cornell
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,581Gear list
Like?
Relativity
In reply to tgutgu, 4 months ago

tgutgu wrote:

Since there are now alternatives to the 1.7/20mm, which are equal or better in IQ (1.8/25mm, 1.4/25mm) and which have a fast AF, there isn't any point left to buy this lens

Unless it's exactly what you need.

The 20 may not be the best at any one thing, but it still offers a unique combination of characteristics not replicated by any other lens. I didn't expect to love it - being used to 35mm on FF - but it makes a great walkabout because of its combination of brightness, minimal size & weight, high optical quality, and a really useful perspective that nicely spans the range between "normal" and "wide". Oly's 17 f1.8 focuses faster but reportedly lags a bit in IQ and is big enough to make a GX1 less pocketable. 25mm is a very different perspective than 20mm and isn't a substitute. And, the other pancake (14 f2.8) is much wider and dimmer.

Also, "slow" is relative. The 20 still focuses faster and quieter than my old Canon 35mm f2 on a 1-series.

-- hide signature --

jacquescornell.photography

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +33 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow