I feel misled: Panasonic 20mm f1.7 II AF is SO SLOW!

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
jhinkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,378Gear list
Like?
Re: I feel misled: Panasonic 20mm f1.7 II AF is SO SLOW!
In reply to Anders W, 7 months ago

Anders W wrote:

jhinkey wrote:

The OP has a G3 listed in his gear list - this is a quite "old" model at 3+ years - could the G3 focusing be contributing to the slowness of the 20/1.7?

While the G3 is perhaps not quite as fast as the most recent models, it is surely no slouch either. Middle-generation as far as MFT AF speed is concerned. Besides, to the extent that the G3 is slow with the 20, it is slow with other lenses too. Body processing time is what it is no matter what lens is used.

I've never used my 20/1.7 on my G5 or GH2 so I have no idea how much slower it could be.  I was just suggesting that perhaps the AF speed of the 20/1.7 is slowed down enough on a not-so-current body (like a G3) that it passed the threshold of minimum nimbleness for the OP.

Generally with my 20/1.7 on my GX7 I have no real complaints - only when racking from near to far or back does it show it's lack of speed.  Short hops between distances are usually quick enough not to be an issue.  Tracking of a fast moving object is not something I've generally tried to do with my m43 gear.

I may swap it out for the new 15/1.7, but not because of AF speed . . . .

jhinkey's gear list:jhinkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow