Thinking about jumping ship due to poor AF. Any help?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
smafdy
Regular MemberPosts: 421Gear list
Like?
Re: Thinking about jumping ship due to poor AF. Any help?
In reply to GabrielFFontes, 5 months ago

I started with a Pentax ME Super, in the '70s. Started shooting professionally with Nikon and Mamiya MF film cameras. Made the switch to digital with a Nikon P&S, but chose Oly 4/3s as my primary digital system when they launched the e-1. (I also did a brief stint with a Canon D30(?), at work, but could never get used to the feel).

I came to Pentax recently (when the price of a k-01, k-5, and k-30 became unavoidably good values as world-class image capturing devices). I also purchased the kit 40mm pancake (sweet little lens), 77mm and 50-135mm lenses. The 77 is world class. The 50-135 is pretty good. AF is okay, but not stellar.

I have since purchased a bunch of MF legacy glass, with which I get surprisingly good results on the k-01 (probably would on the k-30, too, but I've never tried it w/manual lenses).

All of that said, the Pentax system requires more thought, and more skill as a photographer than the other systems. The options and implementations — especially when using legacy glass — are fairly deep.

So far, all I can say is that when Pentaxes are good, they are very good. When they're not so good, it's usually something I could have done differently. I find myself having to pay more attention to critical focus than with my other systems.

I'm going to hang in there for at least another body cycle to see where this brand is going.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow