Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Peteo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,588Gear list
Like?
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG Sharpness Test on K5II
6 months ago

After a lot of research and looking at many images on the internet I decided to pick up a Sigma f/1.4 EX DG that I found used at Adorama for my K5II.  It came in today and wanted to make sure I got a good copy so I recruited my daughter for a sharpness test.  She's such a willing subject, especially when she wants you to buy her a new phone case for her iphone.  

First this lens is built like a tank and feels like you could throw it against the wall and it would survive to fight another day.  It is heavy but balances well on the K5II, especially with the battery grip added.  Focus is quick and fairly silent, not as quite as my Pentax 18 - 135WR but still very good.

Here are the images at the various f stops.  All are at full size and I did not post processing except to convert them to jpegs in LR5.  I tried to focus on her left eyeball for consistancy.

f/1.4 is usable but fully cropped it's not super sharp.  Not sure if it's the lens copy or if I just need to work a few things out.

F/1.8 is better but still not super sharp.

I think the rest of them from f/2.2 to f3.5 are very crisp and show excellent sharpness.   I do need to play around a bit more with f1.4 to see what I can come up with but for just getting it today I'm very happy with it.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions or tips?

Scott

f/1.4

f/1.8

f/2.2

f/2.8

f/3.5

Peteo's gear list:Peteo's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 II Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED +8 more
Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow