Convince me to buy a D800 (+BHPV question)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
TQGroup
Contributing MemberPosts: 763Gear list
Like?
Re: Rent a camera
In reply to M Lammerse, 5 months ago

Are you sure you need a D800 or do you just want it? If you want it just but it now.

If you compare the performance of your existing lenses at DxOMark on the D800 and D610 sensors, you will see very little difference! If you compare the performance of the D610 and D800 sensors at the same site, again there is little difference in performance.

I chose the D600 when my friends went for D800s... on the media we display (4K UHD TV = 8MPX and 36x24 inch prints) there is no discernible difference visible when the two cameras are shot side by side with the same glass. Their only significant advantage is they can crop more and still retain very high quality.

Kindly note that the pro Nikon D4S only has 16 MPX... now, how can those fulltime "pros" get away with such a "poor" sensor compared to the 36 MPX D800?   Very nicely, I suspect!

May I suggest you make your decisions based on issues like AF, frame rates, size, shutter speeds, file sizes, comfort in your hand, etc, etc based on your individual needs.

BTW, if you intend to retain your D7000, you will find that the camera control layout is very similar to the D610 / D600 and awkwardly different from the D800 ... or so my D800 + D7000 owning friends tell me when they fiddle with the wrong buttons "under pressure".

Finally, the 300F4 + TC14eII work great on both cameras in our experience. Of course, big, heavy and expensive "long pro glass" works better but that involves big tripods with fancy heads and, ideally, a porter to carry it all for you!

Good luck with your call!

TQGroup's gear list:TQGroup's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Wow!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow