I feel misled: Panasonic 20mm f1.7 II AF is SO SLOW!

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 18,175Gear list
Like?
Re: I feel misled: Panasonic 20mm f1.7 II AF is SO SLOW!
In reply to jhinkey, 6 months ago

jhinkey wrote:

flacko_man wrote:

I just did an unscientific test of focusing on the cr@p around my desk in 7:25 morning light and the 20 1.7 seemed to focus as fast as my 45 1.8.

Try the same thing going from very far to something close and see if they are still equal. My experience has been that the 20/1.7 gets slow in this situation where other lenses are much faster.

Your experience agrees with controlled measurements. If you go from minimum focus distance (0.2 m) to infinity or the reverse, it may take about twice as long as other lenses (since the AF mechanism of the lens is the primary bottleneck in this case). If, however, you stay in the range between 0.75 m and infinity, it's about as fast as any other lens (since body processing is the primary bottleneck in this case). Fortunately, I rarely find a need to AF quickly between 0.2 m and infinity with my 20. But others may of course have other needs than mine.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow