Convince me to buy a D800 (+BHPV question)

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
M Lammerse
Forum ProPosts: 10,932
Like?
Rent a camera
In reply to TimStir, 8 months ago

TimStir wrote:

This has been a dream camera since release but I'm pretty frugal and saved the money for a house deposit, then I found out I would become a father so held off the purchase some more.

Dream...it's more a specific need camera.  If you don't have a specific need for it, I would check the other options. Or you're very rich and don't give a damn about how to spend, than just buy the damn thing

Now I am kind of thinking it is now or never. I don't want to wait until the D800 is near EoL. I already hear rumors of a D800S, but I assume this will be fairly minor tweaks and several hundred more $$ ???

I still did not sign any NDA, that will be in June probable The new FX model will have three major differences with the D800, one can be found already in that other D800 model.

In a couple of weeks I have a paid event to shoot semi-professionally (MBA gradation at prestigious private school)). I currently have a D90 and D7000, Nikon 24-70, 70-200, 300mm f/4.0, 70-300, 50mm f/1.8D and 85mm f/1.8G for FF (sigma 10-20mm, nikon 16-85 and 35mm f/1.8 for DX). I know this kit is perfectly capable of the event in question but a D800 will help (d800 with 24-70 and the 85mm f/1.8 on the D7000), and this event should hopefully be the first of many.

One paid event? You're much better of renting a camera. I would use my D3S in this case, if you can't rent it anymore, try to rent a D4 or D4S.

Despite shooting the event I'm mostly a nature photographer. The D800 is evidently superb for landscape and the pixel density helps with wildlife. But the latter is one of my concerns. I find the 300mm f/4 and 1.4xTC just about right for wildlife and so get the most out of the D800 would require a somewhat big and expensive lens upgrade.

That totally depends on a several things, the most easiest point is your file size (crop.)

Does anyone expect the D800S to be any more than a slight speed high ISO increase at a higher cost?

Yes.

How do people cope with a D800 for wildlife when they can't afford a 500mm f/4.0? Is is really just better sticking to crop?

I'm not a wildlife photographer, but it works very well with long tele lenses

Thanks for the time, sorry for long, boring post! This is a lot of money for me. I can easily afford it but I just don't like spending big money on toys!

If it's really not more than a toy, make an other choice and rent a camera for an incidental paid job.

Michel

-- hide signature --

- Objectivity is of the very essence of photography, its contribution and at the same time its limitation -
http://www.fotopropaganda.com
http://www.fotopropaganda.com/blog
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9240992@N05

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Wow!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow