I feel misled: Panasonic 20mm f1.7 II AF is SO SLOW!

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Ontario Gone
Senior MemberPosts: 3,547Gear list
Like?
Re: I feel misled: Panasonic 20mm f1.7 II AF is SO SLOW!
In reply to Wesley Byrne, 7 months ago

I think you guys are selling short this lens's IQ. The reason people buy fast lenses is so they can use them at faster apertures, but doing so is moot if the IQ is poor. While the 17 F1.8 isn't bad at the two widest apertures, it's not as sharp as the 20. The 20mm is indeed pretty slow comparatively, many people have mentioned this. I have gone on record on DPR saying it won't track, it literally cancels out the "C-AF" option in my menus, it won't track.

Hasn't been an issue yet though. I have many shots  that turned out great with my 20. I bought the first version used for $275, while the 17mm F1.8 is around $400 used ($500 new). The 25mm F1.8 is $400 new and can't be found used really. Im sorry to hear about our disappointment but the info on the 20 has been out there for a long time, still doesn't prevent many people from taking great shots with it. It's small, it's cheap, and it has great IQ.

Incidentally, i have heard it focuses slower on some Olympus bodies, not sure what the OP has. I have a GX7 and it's not slow-motion slow, but is noticeably slower than my others and won't track. Perhaps the Oly issue could be the problem here?

-- hide signature --

"Run to the light, Carol Anne. Run as fast as you can!"

Ontario Gone's gear list:Ontario Gone's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow