Convince me to buy a D800 (+BHPV question)

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Apollo18
Senior MemberPosts: 1,224Gear list
Like?
Re: Convince me to buy a D800 (+BHPV question)
In reply to TimStir, 4 months ago

TimStir wrote:

I find the 300mm with TC has sufficient each for birds when I am reasonably lucky. I can crop the D800 results and get a step up in quality (16MP, better DR, better ISO, better focus) but to really exploit the D800 I would need a longer lens and do less cropping.

But there just aren't many options out there. The sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 would get me more light with a 1.4xTC, but I am not sure the 2x TC is really acceptable on that lens. A 500mm is ideal but is out of my price range for the time being.

However, with larger animals or luck I have had 300mm fill the frame:

Apollo18 wrote:

I find the 300mm f/4 and 1.4xTC just about right for wildlife and so get the most out of the D800 would require a somewhat big and expensive lens upgrade.

Why?

Some very nice pictures there Tim.

I sold my 500mm f4 a few months back, which I had used for some time with a D300, but less so since I bought the D800. Bear in mind you'd need not just the lens, but also a worthy tripod and gimbal head (figure about another £1k for these). This Body+Lens+Tripod+Head+Teleconverter combination = about 10kg, which is really no fun at all to carry around a nature reserve. If you are a dedicated wildlife shooter and have a good back, then maybe...

If wildlife stuff is just a sideline for you, I think you can get great results with the 300mm f4 and save yourself a stack of cash.

Otherwise, here's another suggestion - the 300mm f2.8 + teleconverters. The 300mm 2.8 accepts TCs extremely well - way way better than the 300mm f4 does. It's also much lighter and it is cheaper, especially used. If you get the older, non-VR version, it might be in your price range (take a look on ebay).

Apollo18's gear list:Apollo18's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Wow!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow