Is this the best I can expect from D800?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
StillLearning
Senior MemberPosts: 1,965
Like?
Re: Some in this thread are missing an important point
In reply to John M Roberts, 5 months ago

John M Roberts wrote:

Steve Bingham wrote:

Man this takes me back! The Pentax 6x7 (now called Pentax 67) was notorious for mirror slap vibrations. Usually worst between 1 second and 1/15 second. MU and then wait! Some of us used a few techniques to dampen the vibrations. I put a lead pellet shooting bag (used in bench-rest shooting) on the camera. Others used the "dead hand" technique. .

I'm a bit confused. You would use the weight if conditions wouldn't allow you to flip the mirror up first and that helped? I have had years of use as well with that beast. I nearly always flip the mirror up before shutter release. With my 300mm that still wasn't good enough due to shutter curtain vibration even after the mirror was up. In that situation I could see the weight option being helpful. I bought a kirk lens brace which helped as well.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

2 reasons I never picked up the Pentax 6X7. The vibrations at low shutter speed and the low X-sync. Though it was a cool looking camera. I chose the RB 67 instead though it was more of a tripod camera, I'd handheld it in my younger years. Had some spectacular shots of the Tetons and Yellowstone. Really loved the leaf shutter with flash plus the rotating back.

John you have some great pictures on your site.  Really like the Devil's Tower.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
No.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow