Convince me to buy a D800 (+BHPV question)

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TimStir
Forum MemberPosts: 56
Like?
Convince me to buy a D800 (+BHPV question)
7 months ago

This has been a dream camera since release but I'm pretty frugal and saved the money for a house deposit, then I found out I would become a father so held off the purchase some more.

Now I am kind of thinking it is now or never. I don't want to wait until the D800 is near EoL. I already hear rumors of a D800S, but I assume this will be fairly minor tweaks and several hundred more $$ ???

In a couple of weeks I  have a paid event to shoot semi-professionally (MBA gradation at prestigious private school)). I currently have a D90 and D7000, Nikon 24-70, 70-200, 300mm f/4.0, 70-300, 50mm f/1.8D and 85mm f/1.8G for FF (sigma 10-20mm, nikon 16-85 and 35mm f/1.8 for DX).  I know this kit is perfectly capable of the event in question but a D800 will help (d800 with 24-70 and the 85mm f/1.8 on the D7000), and this event should hopefully be the first of many.

Despite shooting the event I'm mostly a nature photographer. The D800 is evidently superb for landscape and the pixel density helps with wildlife. But the latter is one of my concerns. I find the 300mm f/4 and 1.4xTC just about right for wildlife and so get the most out of the D800 would require a somewhat big and expensive lens upgrade.

-- hide signature --

TL:DR

Does anyone  expect the D800S to be any more than a slight speed high ISO increase at a higher cost? Expected dates? I know no one knows for certain but some ed4ucated guesses are welcome.

How do people cope with a D800 for wildlife when they can't afford a 500mm f/4.0? Is is really just better sticking to crop?

I will likely buy form BH photo video. They have a deluxe kit for an extra $100. Normally I avoid these, but I would need the 2 additional batteries (3rd party is fine), I would like the wireless remote for landscape work, the velbon v-grip is of some use to me and seems OK for money. Other bits and pieces are not so important but would add a little value to me. Seems for my uses to be over $100 value in total. Anyone experience with the BHPV deluxe kit?

Thanks for the time, sorry for long, boring post! This is a lot of money for me. I can easily afford it  but I just don't like spending big money on toys!

Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Wow!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow