One of the first pictures I ever made with a DSLR, how to get all sharp?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
BobSC
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,292
Like?
Re: Ohne of the first pictures I ever made with a DSLR, how to get all sharp?
In reply to WryCuda, 8 months ago

WryCuda wrote:

Cingen wrote:

BobSC wrote:

It's hard to figure out. But here's what you can do:

Set the camera to manual focus. Perhaps 1 foot off the ground. Focus on something about 8 feet out. Now when you look at the photo there will be something that is in focus. That's the best your lens can do. You'll see the grass out of focus, in focus and back out. Like so:

Is this technique used to test a lens his "sweet spot", or to actually spot technical issues that may be wrong? I don't mind the lens not being the best of the best, I'd be crazy expecting a kit lens to be. My main worry is an actual technical problem with either my camera or lens.

For some reason, you seem reluctant to photograph something that will give you an answer to your possible focus problem. Pictures of flowers and grass aren't going to help if you can't get a sharp shot of a flat test target. The test shots of the shed etc. were promising, but black windows are hardly a good contrasty subject. If you can't find a proper res. chart, try a newspaper or magazine.

A three dimension subject shot obliquely will give a faster read on potential for resolution than test charts.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow