How many spare batteries do you need?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Klarno
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,596Gear list
Like?
Re: How many spare batteries do you need?
In reply to mep, 8 months ago

I'm a very conservative, methodical shooter, and in landscape photography I generally don't get my camera out at all if I don't like the light (which happens most of the day). I moved up from two batteries total to three on my GH2 when I was prepping for backpacking--any other time I'm close enough to electricity that I can do just fine with two. I generally don't drain a battery in a day.

Two spare batteries is enough for me. For a day's shooting, I only really need one spare. I label my batteries with a number and a date of first charge, so that if one becomes a problem it's easy to identify, and so I can rotate them equally.

I lost the first spare for my GH2 on top of a mountain three years ago. I found it again a couple weeks ago. In the intervening time it's been rained on, snowed on, had snow melt over it, frozen, had the summer sun beating down on it. And somewhat shockingly, the thing still works... the charger accepts it and gives it a charge, and stops the charge hours later with no error. It wasn't recognized by the camera at first (some sort of internal short relating to the chip, maybe-- I cleaned the contacts with alcohol and sprayed into them with contact cleaner). But a couple weeks later, the camera actually powers on with it installed. So I might actually have four batteries for that camera.... I really need a battery case.

For my new Sony a3000 (which I'm using strictly paired with a Speedbooster for manual lenses), the nice thing about that camera (probably the only nice thing about it other than its image quality) is that it can charge over Micro USB, so it's easy to keep the battery topped up when driving from location to location. Reduces the need for spares somewhat. Every modern technological device should have that capability.

-- hide signature --
 Klarno's gear list:Klarno's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 A3000 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
OneNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow