Autofocus speed comparison of mirrorless?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Lumixdude
Senior MemberPosts: 2,782Gear list
Like?
Re: Autofocus speed comparison of mirrorless?
In reply to D Cox, 6 months ago

D Cox wrote:

Lumixdude wrote:

The Nikon 1 really is a toy camera aimed at point and shoot photographers. It's been picked up by certain DSLR users for the fact that it has a 2x crop factor meaning that any lens you attach to it will double in focal length, a 300mm will become a 600mm.

If you want APS-C like image quality you will have to upgrade at least to a Micro Four Thirds camera.

I think if you want APS-C image quality, you buy a camera with an APS-C sensor. A smaller sensor may be nearly as good.

Micro Four Thirds cameras have fast focus speed, faster than most mirrorless cameras in general e.g. Fuji, Canon, etc...

There is a few caveats, due to the contrast detect auto focus if you're not shooting contrasty objects i.e. if you're trying to focus at infinity with the sky in a landscape photography it can sometimes get into a situation where the camera wont find focus.

The other one is that Micro Four Thirds isn't particularly good at shooting fast moving objects, birds, wildlife, sport, etc... The OMD E-M1 and E-M10 have made some inroads into that but for action photography you're still going to want a traditional DSLR.

Outside of that, it will be fine Micro Four Thirds produces APS-C image quality in all aspects except for high ISO.

Which is needed for indoor shots of family.

Thanks for the generalised comments, but don't do that again OK? Get a decent lens and you wont need high ISO... Anyway, it's not "needed" I haven't run into any situations once you've got a Micro Four Thirds lenses with an aperture of F/2.8 or faster in which you actually need to use your ISO. On an Olympus camera with 5 point IBIS you can shoot with your shutter speed down to 1/10th of a second hand held.

The ISO issue you're speaking of does not exist and these kinds of comments from people who have never used a Micro Four Thirds camera are unhelpful. There isn't a situation with a Micro Four Thirds camera and a fast lens where you should ever see a need to shoot above ISO1600, I don't use ISO at all with my 12mm F/2 and I've shot in the middle of the dark enough to know I can almost get away with doing long exposures hand held.

Lumixdude's gear list:Lumixdude's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Apple iPhone 4 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow