Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
fenlander
Regular MemberPosts: 309
Like?
** Mini Challenge #424 "Five to one" **
6 months ago

For my sins I run a couple of websites. Like many sites, my community information site has a banner photo on the home page, requiring a steady supply of new images as the seasons pass.

This challenge is about photographs in the particular format needed for a web banner. It's not so much about fine detail - these pictures are usually less than 1000px wide - and some of the usual rules of composition don't really work either. We're all used to working with pictures in 4:3 and 16:9 formats, but your challenge is to find or create some pictures at 5:1 (i.e. five times as wide as they are high).

There are no constraints on subject matter: this one's about choice of details and producing a picture with impact in an unusual format. One option is to stitch multiple images together, panorama style, but just to add a small extra challenge, there will be kudos for pictures produced from a single shot.

Ladies and gentlemen, to your cropping boards...

This weeks challenge will run from now until next Monday May 5th @ 7pm GMT (Greenwich Mean Time).

A few examples:

THE RULES :

The host gives you a topic of interest and you get going.

You may enter up to three competition images.

The host chooses the winner after the challenge closes (usually after one week). The decision of the judge (the host) is final. The judge is not eligible. The winner then chooses the next topic, runs the challenge, judges the winner, and passes on the baton to that person.

If you submit a photo, please check in when the winners are posted. The first place winner is expected to host the next challenge. If the first place person cannot host, it moves to the 2nd place, or if the 2nd cannot host, the baton goes to the third, etc.

Any picture you've taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.

When Submitting:

Please reply to the FIRST (ORIGINAL) post and please remember to change the Subject of your post to display your name or picture titles. This way, when someone comments (i.e. replies), it will refer specifically to you. If all entries read "Re: Mini Challenge #424..." it would be very boring to scan the list.

Try to put all of your entries within a 'single' post.

Please give a title to each photo - this makes it easier to differentiate when giving comments.

Entries previously submitted are welcome, as long as they weren't winners.

Feel free to comment on other contestants' images.

List of previous CTF Mini Challenge topics and winners (thanks to blademeister)http://homepages.peakpeak.com/~blade/minichallenge.html

Main rule and general guideline : Have fun, and have more fun to compete and to share !!!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow