Posterization

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Sergey_Green
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,011Gear list
Like?
thx
In reply to clarnibass, 6 months ago

clarnibass wrote:

If I look at the small photo in the actual post, it is barely there, almost impossible to see. I doubt I would notice unless you told me.
If I click on the photo and look at it full screen in the DPR viewer, it is more or less the same, just barely there.
If I click on 1:1 100% in the DPR viewer, it's still the same, barely there.
If I click to view the original, where DPR will open the file in a new tab, as opposed to show it in its viewer, then look at it full screen, it is much more obvious.
If then I enlarge to look at the 100% size photo in the new tab, it is even more obvious.

Obviously the DPR viewer does something that makes this less obvious. I've seen and posted before about how the DPR viewer changed photos in some ways, generally for the worse. In this case I doubt the new tab photo is worse, causing the issue. I am guessing that whatever the DPR viewer does to change photos for the wosre in this case also happens to remove some of this issue.

This is something different, I have been seeing this also. What bothers me the most is the limitation in producing smooth gradients regardless of the viewer. I have several of those frames from winter, where the moment I darken the sky (just barely) I start seeing the gradients breaking down. It's like there is no way around it.

I also downloaded the NEF and there is no issue there at all.

I wonder if different image editors will produce different results in that area. Like PS vs LR, or some other RAW processors. Have you tried to save it to TIFF, see what happens?

-- hide signature --

- sergey

Sergey_Green's gear list:Sergey_Green's gear list
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ThxNew
thxNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow