Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
PerL
Forum ProPosts: 12,453
Like?
Re: Stunning...
In reply to Ontario Gone, 3 months ago

Ontario Gone wrote:

PerL wrote:

The AF-C on Nikon/Canon pro cameras is already so fast that you can virtually shot anything in the way of sports.

This is so true. The problem is they also cost an arm and a leg, they are huge and heavy (as are the lenses), and they are missing very useful features such as real time exposure through the VF, electronic shutters, focus peaking.... I can shoot in a concert hall, a recital, a church, a wedding, (insert any quiet event you like), with my GX7 (or a GH4) and nobody knows if i took a shot or not.

Quiet shutter is valuable thing, but other stuff you mention - real time exposure, focus peaking, video, information overload in the viewfinder, etc - is not important for many photographers and won't change their photography.

Its like saying a Toyota is better than a Porsche because it got electronic parking assist.

DSLR makers won't offer electronic shutters for OVF shooting because it's a waste, they have the mirror still flapping about, and since LV is not the main draw of a DSLR, electronic shutters will be rare there too. The simple truth is there are potential advantages to mirrorless (not all mirrorless are on board yet with all these) that won't be had with a DSLR, so if we are going to even up AF, where does a pro DSLR have an advantage? We are down to IQ now, but there's nothing saying that an A7 can't get GH4 like auto focus and an electronic shutter. Then what?

It's not about just shooting anything in the way of sports, it's about being able to do that and also do other things. Very soon you will hear DSLR owners shift from bragging about C-AF to bragging about FF IQ. That will be the only thing they have.

FF IQ is something you should be able to have with mirrorless, if you want it.

-- hide signature --

"Run to the light, Carol Anne. Run as fast as you can!"

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
TrueNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow