Started 4 months ago | User reviews thread
krugman
Contributing MemberPosts: 932Gear list
Like?
Re: The Olympus OM-D E-M10
In reply to assaft, 4 months ago

Hi Krugman,

Just a few things:

1. I totally agree regarding the bloody manual. Luckily I was already familiar with an Oly camera (E-PL2, which was easier to learn at the time) so I didn't really need it in order to learn the FW except for some small things.

2. Your trick of switching off Live View in order to get the SCP (using the button near the EVF) is nice but you can enable the SCP regardless of whether Live View is on or off. Look at this tutorial. Enabling the SCP as they say might save you one button press every time you want to open it.

3. In all MySets I have Magnify assigned to Fn1. This way I can jump into x14 mode quickly before/after taking a picture (i.e. in shooting/playback modes). To Fn2 I sometimes assign Peaking, when I want to assess the focus and depth of field easily) and sometimes BKT (to easily enable/disable bracketing). The simplest way to configure these buttons is by entering the SCP, moving the cursor to the bottom right corner, and pressing OK. This will open a menu where you can assign functions to all buttons.

4. I don't think that Wifi is on by default; you can check you camera by scanning for Wifi networks and if you don't find the E-M10 network then it's off. I can see it only when I press on the wifi icon.

Assaf

Thank you, thank you for the help!

I looked at the tutorial and they advise setting the Super Control Panel to ON as the default, by going to the Custom Menu Part D.

But the Dpreview tutorial needs to be pretested with people who are not familiar with the camera. Pretesting would soon disclose that there is no clear indication about how to get to the Custom Menu Part D. It's good of them to try but the English language is not their strong point, nor is understanding how to teach. Ponderous they are, but also imponderable.

Teaching involves listening to how the student thinks, it involves pretesting explanations, and it involves redundancy in explanations. As Paul Samuelson, who made a fortune from his economics testbook, said, "Short writing makes for long reading."

Speaking of redundancy, I remember getting instructions in a small Illinois town to a local county park at which there was going to be a nighttime astronomical observing session. They said, "Take Cooper Street east and turn right at the first stop sign, go 300 yards, and you are there.." This proved accurate, but they neglected to mention that the first stop sign was 9 miles away. We kept looking for it the entire 9 miles, wondering if we had somehow missed it.

Recourse to Guy Parson's helpful and generous tutorial discloses that the Custom Menu is in fact the Wrench Menu, which one can get to from the Super Control Panel. But when one does so, the only Wrench option that appears says "Firmware." And there is no way to modify it or reach other choices.

As far as the Function Menus are concerned, I could not figure out what the four way controller choices for Fn1 meant; I left it at the default, which is AEL/AFL. There is no indication of what those acronyms mean. I figure they probably mean Auto Exposure Lock and Auto Focus Lock. But what do they do? Neither the manual nor the Dpreview guide has any explanation that i can find. Do they lock exposure and focus at the same point? Only the shadow knows, and he doesn't know how to tell us.

With Fn2 I had better luck. I was able to set it to toggle focus peaking (which is very important to me in digitizing slides) from ON to OFF and back to On again, by pressing the Fn2 button repeatedly.

But you can see from this sad tale that from the point of view of the user, the DpReview "explanations" are as inept and enigmatic as the manual.

It's too bad that engineering curricula, in addition to furthering a sense of intellectual superiority in engineers, don't cover writing, teaching, or explaining. Long ago I worked for a top quality engineering and applied science research firm. The engineers were great but we had to have a special staff of editors to translate their wretchedly written reports so the clients could understand them.

Thanks again for your help, I am slowly making progress thanks to your help and that of Guy Parsons, but it is taking plenty of time that I don't have.

About wifi, I hit the OFF button and I hope it is gone.

Best,

Krugman

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow