KUDOS to Nikon Repair Service - and a few observations..

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tony Bonanno
Contributing MemberPosts: 723Gear list
Like?
KUDOS to Nikon Repair Service - and a few observations..
8 months ago

I added Nikon gear to my business about two years ago, but never had a serious repair issue until now.  My 800E with a 300mm f/4 lens attached fell approximately 3 feet onto a concrete floor. OUCH !  Was curious how the Nikon repair experience would pan out.  Most of my camera repair experience has been with Canon (for more than 40 years).

Lens and body arrived back at my door in approximately 10 days which was excellent turnaround time (from Los Angeles facility). Service notes revealed that top LCD unit and LCD window were replaced, hot shoe replaced, bayonet mount replaced, focusing screen replaced, AF operation was adjusted, and a general check and clean.  The 300 mm lens hood was replaced (not user replaceable on 300 f/4), the AF adjusted, and Infinity focus adjusted. They also checked the bayonet mount and aperture operation on the lens.

I've just finished a thorough check and testing of the repaired gear and everything is working perfectly as far as I can tell.  Bottom line is that I'm very pleased.

A few observations that might be useful to others:

- Repair techs left all my custom settings in place and did their testing using in a different "custom" menu which I thought was thoughtful :-).

- The Nikon extended warranties do not cover impact damage (no surprise here), but repair costs were very reasonable IMO.

- When I first examined the camera body after it fell, I didn't see any obvious damage other than the top LCD screen was broken.  The camera appeared to still function.  I have a backup D800, so I sent the camera/lens off to Nikon right away thinking they would replace the broken LCD, check and clean everything and return it.  I was surprised the service list was as comprehensive as it was. Apparently, with the weight of a large lens like the 300mm attached, there was more damage than met the eye.

- I had 9 lenses that had been fine tuned to the camera body prior to the accident.  All but one of those 9 lenses had required tuning adjustments and most required a fair amount of fine tuning. After the camera was repaired, 8 of the 9 lenses required NO fine tuning. Only my 85mm which had previously required +18 units of fine tuning still required some tuning and it had dropped to +4. Every other lens is now at 0.  I had not expected that dramatic a change.  I suspect it probably had something to do with the clearance changing when the bayonet mount was replaced.

This one experience has given me a high level of confidence in Nikon's repair capability.  Admittedly, I hope I don't have to use the service very often.

Cheers,

Tony

-- hide signature --

Tony Bonanno Photography, Santa Fe, New Mexico
ASMP Professional Member
www.bonannophoto.com

Tony Bonanno's gear list:Tony Bonanno's gear list
Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow