Birds in Flight, A6000, Wetlands...AF-C (55-210, DH1758)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Frag01
Regular MemberPosts: 154Gear list
Like?
Re: Al,
In reply to zackiedawg, 5 months ago

zackiedawg wrote:

I noticed the question you asked on your own thread - and I had just been posting this one, so I figured you'd find it as part of your question about shooting BIF!

Settings-wise, I was using two different memory recall setting banks to shoot yesterday - one for still birds, and one for in-flight birds. Being able to quickly switch which MR bank I was in was much easier than having to change over all the various individual settings.

For still birds, I had MR1 set up as follows: AF-S, Flex spot focus - small, center-weighted metering, steady shot on, drive mode - continuous lo, auto Wb, auto ISO set to 100-3200, lock-on AF off, creative mode: Vivid, with contrast 0, saturation -1, sharpness 0, and DRO set to Auto. My only changes as I shot were to adjust EV as needed.

For BIFs, I had MR2 set up as follows: AF-C, wide focus area, center-weighted metering, steady shot off, drive mode - continuous med (6fps), auto WB, auto ISO set to 100-1600, lock on AF off, all other settings the same as above.

I also had MR3 set up almost identically to MR2, but with lock-on AF set to shutter...just so I could experiment between those two modes. I found I prefer to use lock-on AF with zone focus mode, set to center zone...with moving subjects against sky, wide + AF-C and no lock on seemed to work best.

My big mistake was having the memory banks all set up in P mode - in the future, I'll be using S priority on the BIF setting, so I can keep the shutter above 1/1000.

Many thanks for looking in, and happy to answer any questions I can!

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

Outstanding shots. Out of curiosity I was wondering why you have steadyshot off for  BIF's?

Thanks,

frag

Frag01's gear list:Frag01's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS LE +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Al,New
Sam,New
Ron,New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow