Like?
Re: The Olympus OM-D E-M10
In reply to krugman, 8 months ago

krugman wrote:

richarddd wrote:

krugman wrote:

Paul Amyes wrote:

superstar905 wrote:

thanks for the indepth review. where can I buy thia camera?

You want something a little deeper? Try here

Yes, the Oly EM10 menu is maddening. I started a thread here asking for help with it a couple of weeks ago, and Guy Parsons was helpful. I now know how to reach the secret Super Control Menu and how to manipulate it. But there are a huge number of important things I still can't figure out how to do. I thought the Sony Nex menu system was appalling but the Olympus menu is far worse, a real disaster.

Krugman

What is it you can't figure out how to do?

Usually (obviously not always), appalling = unfamiliar and intuitive = familiar. Read the manual, play, post questions.

-- hide signature --

On my diction:

I was using "appalling" in the traditional sense, following the dictionary definition:

bad, dreadful, awful, terrible, frightful, atrocious, disgraceful, deplorable, hopeless, lamentable

Inspiring horror, dismay, or disgust

I meant to use it this way.

To answer your question:

What took me a while to figure out how to do was getting to the secret Super Control Menu.

And getting to the list of settings in the right margin when I am ready to shoot.

And remembering to hit OK each time I change a setting on a menu; if I forget, the little square that defines where to focus, moves around to another spot, without telling you.

And how to set or disable the touch screen.

And now I find from this forum that the default setting for wifi is ON, and that if one turns it to OFF, it helps battery life a lot. But I don't know how to turn it off; more research by me is needed.

Also I don't know how to set the Fn1 and Fn2 buttons. I don't see why I need them since I can already set shooting mode, aperture, shutter speed, ISO, image compensation, focus mode, metering mode, and white balance, without using the Fn1 or Fn2 buttons.

I like photography of several kinds, I like cameras, I enjoy taking pictures, they preserve memories that otherwise fade quickly, but I have plenty of things to do at present, including completing a book I have been writing, so I don't want to have to spend many hours compensating for the Olympus manual writers' pretentiousness, their ineptitude, their distain for paragraphs as a vehicle for explanation, their very flawed and perplexing table of contents, their inadequate index, and the resulting implicit put-down of the users.

As Guy Parsons has noted, it's a textbook example of how not to write a manual.

However I thank you for your interest in what I am having trouble with in using the manual. Perhaps my list may be helpful to others.

P.S. To get to the secret Super Control Panel (note the pretentious title) press the button on the side of the flash housing on the top plate. Page 24 contains a diagram from which one can infer what some of the many icons on the Super Control Panel mean.

I have posted a thread here in the last couple of weeks on the subject of the manual,

Best,

Krugman

Hi Krugman,

Just a few things:

1. I totally agree regarding the bloody manual. Luckily I was already familiar with an Oly camera (E-PL2, which was easier to learn at the time) so I didn't really need it in order to learn the FW except for some small things.

2. Your trick of switching off Live View in order to get the SCP (using the button near the EVF) is nice but you can enable the SCP regardless of whether Live View is on or off. Look at this tutorial. Enabling the SCP as they say might save you one button press every time you want to open it.

3. In all MySets I have Magnify assigned to Fn1. This way I can jump into x14 mode quickly before/after taking a picture (i.e. in shooting/playback modes). To Fn2 I sometimes assign Peaking, when I want to assess the focus and depth of field easily) and sometimes BKT (to easily enable/disable bracketing). The simplest way to configure these buttons is by entering the SCP, moving the cursor to the bottom right corner, and pressing OK. This will open a menu where you can assign functions to all buttons.

4. I don't think that Wifi is on by default; you can check you camera by scanning for Wifi networks and if you don't find the E-M10 network then it's off. I can see it only when I press on the wifi icon.

Assaf

assaft's gear list:assaft's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow