ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GadgetNeil
Regular MemberPosts: 151Gear list
Like?
SL1 vs EOS M for my daughter
3 months ago

I wonder what views there are on this:

I have a Canon 60D and several lenses (ultrawide angle, macro, zoom telephoto, lensbaby), and I do photography purely as a hobby.  My daughter just graduated from university, and when asked if there was something she would like as a graduation present, she said "an SLR camera".  She has a point and shoot, but has played with my camera, and would like the creative options of an SLR, probably when she is traveling, or for general use.

She is petite, with small hands, so I was thinking that the SL1 would be great for her, and if she had a Canon dSLR, we can share lenses.  But then she asked about mirrorless cameras, and I gather the EOS M has a similar APS-C sensor, so would give her similar picture quality, and the controls of an SLR.  Any thoughts on the benefits of the SL1 vs the EOS M?  Or for that matter, it looks like the T5i is similar in cost to the SL1, so is it a better option?

GadgetNeil's gear list:GadgetNeil's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro
Canon EOS 100D (EOS Rebel SL1) Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 700D (EOS Rebel T5i)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow