Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Hugo600si
Contributing MemberPosts: 730Gear list
Like?
1670z vs 18105g, arghhhh
4 months ago

Ok, this is driving me completely mad. I'm trying to decide which lens to get for my better halve on her nex-7 (she now only has the 24/1.8 as the kit was not quite acceptable). Going over thousands of her images she would be in the sweet spot for both of them subject not too far, portraits and street photography + architectural features (ok, this is poorer on the 18105), she likes close focus, but I only find about 10 of those. No video, best improvement for her was the disabling of the button

Image quality seems to be similar, both reviewed with poor corners on the nex-7, but I'd wager that is more related to the nex as everything has poor corners on it it seems

I'd love to hear some opinions... reviews on the 105 are scarce or extreme (seeming sponsored by either Sony or Canon ) and neither seem to be extremely popular when searching for experiences (or just got dwarfed by the a7* announcements)

• 16z is lighter & smaller
  • 16z has closer focus
  • 16z is overpriced (in my humble opinion) for an f4 €999 vs €599, but price is quite quickly forgotten.
  • 18g needs a pricier uv filter + extra polarizer €213 vs €54 (ok, I could share, but I have no hood on my slim b+w 72 pola so I prefer not handling it too much, plus normally we use them at the same time)
  • 16z extends when zooming
  • 18g has better zoom range
  • 18g has pretty bad distortion and she shoots raw (uses LR4 so this might fix it at a cost)
  • 18g resets zoom after powerdown/sleep

unknowns:

• build quality, the only lens that ever broke on me was the 16-80 zeiss, which has me worried with overspending on a lens like this
  • PZ longevity, is it still a long term investment.

I almost hit the buy button this afternoon on the 18g, but now I'm leaning towards the 16-70z again. Normally I would not hesitate spending a little more for a better lens as they are long term investments, but they seem pretty equal with both their own drawbacks

-- hide signature --

Shamelessly promoting my favourite painters website (my wife's ) and my handiwork:
http://EdithsArt.com and http://EditshArt.nl (Dutch)

Hugo600si's gear list:Hugo600si's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +11 more
Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow