Minolta 600mm f4 HS APO G Lens Barrel Loose (rotates) Advise please.

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SteveJnerChicago
Regular MemberPosts: 369Gear list
Like?
Minolta 600mm f4 HS APO G Lens Barrel Loose (rotates) Advise please.
8 months ago

I have an issue with my lens that I bought used in January 2014. The rear half of the lens barrel rotates about 15 to 20 degrees. It is the section from the focus ring to the A-mount. It was fine when I bought it, had to have it dis-assembled and cleaned as there appeared to be fungus on inner element. Worked fine when I got it back except that it would not AF under 23 degrees F and you could feel how stiff the focus ring was when manually focusing in these or lower temps. I don't know if it had this problem when I first got it as I only shot twice in 25 degree plus temps.

Anyone have any thoughts on the loose barrel problem. Is it an easy fix without dis-assembly?

I will contact the local company that did the cleaning for me in January and hope they can fix as they provided a six month warranty on the work. But, in case they say they can't, what are the alternative service providers with quick turnaround? Precision? United? KEH?

It's a beautiful lens and I hope it is just a mechanical fix not requiring parts as I know those, most likely are not available. Looking for quick return as the Warblers are so close to returning. Thanks.

SteveJnerChicago's gear list:SteveJnerChicago's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony 300mm F2.8 G +5 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow