ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
danielbw
Forum MemberPosts: 50
Like?
Couple of questions re: D800's crop modes + DX lenses
6 months ago

Hi,

I know this subject has been discussed here before, but I haven't been able to find an answer to the following questions.

I'm moving from DX to FX. I'll probably buy the D800. My question is related to the use of some good DX lenses in the D800's 1.5 crop mode, as I'm not sure I should get rid of a couple of lenses (I have some FX lenses and will buy one or two more, but I would like to know if there are serious reasons to get rid of the DX lenses).

1) What is the image quality I should expect from using, say, the Sigma 18-35 1.8 Art with the D800's crop mode. I'm not talking about print size compared to the D800's 36 MP. I would like to know what is the image quality I should expect of this combination (D800 crop mode + a good DX lens) for the 18 MP print size. Will it be any better than what I would get with the D7100 + same lens in terms of DR, ISO, etc.?

2) What about the camera shake at very low ISOs? Will the D800 be as demanding in the 1.5 crop mode?

3) I also heard that there are issues with using the viewfinder in crop mode. What are they? Are they so bad? Does the same happen when using the 1.2 crop mode?

Finally, if someone has some samples of pictures taken with the D800 crop mode + a good DX lens and wants to share them, that would be highly welcome.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Daniel

Nikon D7100 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow