Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ulmer
Regular MemberPosts: 270Gear list
Like?
G1X II - Auto ISO is aggressive - Loves fast shutter speed & ISO 3200
8 months ago

I'll preface this with: I know there's a setting for how quickly Auto ISO ramps up. If anyone has any tips on Auto ISO, I'd appreciate it.

Most camera's I've worked with seem to strike a nice balance and (assuming IS is on) seem to aim for a shutter speed that accounts for IS. So slower shutter speed than needed for a handheld shot at the present focal length. This usually results in a sharp picture without going overboard on ISO.

The G1X II seems to aim for a faster shutter speed than necessary and auto ISO of 3200 very quickly. Outside in the shade at the tele end of the zoom, f5.6, it wants ISO 3200. I manually set 800 and got a perfectly fine picture at 1/50 of a sec.

Anyone understand the logic here? I tried setting the Auto ISO "Rate of change" setting to "Low" and that goes to the other extreme. It wanted to use a 1/15 sec exposure which is not going to work out well most of the time. I can't believe there's a "High" setting too.

ulmer's gear list:ulmer's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED +18 more
Canon PowerShot G1 X II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow