ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
chris blaubac
Forum MemberPosts: 80
Like?
issues with hyperfocal distance on DP1 Merrill
4 months ago

Hi there,

I use the hyperfocal distance to maximise depth of field on a number of different cameras, for both street and landscape shots, and normally get very good results. I've noticed with the DP1m however that infinity and distant objects are more blurred than i would expect. This is still the case when shooting on a steady tripod.

There are two obvious possible conclusions:

(1) I am using the wrong distance. From the Dofmaster online calculator I get a distance of 2.28m at an aperture of F8 for the Sigma SD1 (C.O.C of 0.02mm) and I have been using this on the assumption that the DP1m is the same.

(2) I am not setting the distance on the camera correctly. What I did initially was to measure out 2.28m then I manually focused on this point and noted the position on the distance scale that the camera shows. In repeated tests this seemed to be at a consistent position. Once I established the scale position I have been using that to set the focal point. Despite the position seeming to be consistent perhaps this is not a reliable technique?

Could anyone who uses the hyperfocal distance with the DP1m advise on what I might be doing wrong?

Please note that I have used the technique for some time on other cameras so I don't need an introduction - and please let's not start one of those long debates about whether hyperfocal is a good idea or not. it works well for me!

Thanks in advance.

ANSWER:
Sigma DP1 Merrill
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow