Since Lightroom is so good, what do you use Photoshop for?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Ron AKA
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,875Gear list
Like?
Re: Since Lightroom is so good, what do you use Photoshop for?
In reply to soloryb, 5 months ago

soloryb wrote:

Ron, you're just tempting me. Sure you don't work for Qimage?

No, but I have used it for close to 10 years now, but really only for printing and image resizing (print to file).

Unlike in PS, LR has no control over the image resolution. The image's ppi is whatever it came out of the camera at. The only time you see it change is when you crop/enlarge and view it in the Print module with the Print Resolution box left unchecked. Changing the print size also changes the image ppi in the Print Module, but that's not changing the images actual resolution. If you were referring to the ppi output to the printer (the print resolution), then again there are no presets. You just enter in any value you want.

Somewhere along the line I got the impression that Lr had preset resolutions, and up until Lr5 or so you couldn't select over 360 ppi, and the new limit is 720? Sounds like it has changed.

It's interesting that Qimage can select different interpolation methods. Lightroom has just one, but from what I've read and from my own experience it's a very good one - better than PS's. There are a few print output values that must be adjusted for the best up-resing algorithm, but that has been explored ad nauseam on other DPR threads.

I believe Lr claims to use intelligent interpolation. I think that really means it uses Bicubic Sharper for downrez, and Bicubic Smoother for uprez. Of the Adobe methods Bicubic Smoother gives the best results for upsizing based on testing I have done. Couple of images below to compare Bicubic Smoother to Qimage Vector.

There are many different approaches to sharpening an image and all rely on edge contrast halo adjusting as far as I know. These processes just make images appear to be sharper but can't actually sharpen at all. The only exception to this might be what PS CC did with their new Shake Reduction filter. I've used it several times and incredibly it actually does sharpen blurred images. It's supposed to be for shake blur but I've had success with slight out of focus blur too using this tool. How they accomplish it I have no idea, but I can see the drain on my system's resources while the process goes on so I know it's an intense calculation. And, it's not just edge halo manipulation either.

Have done no testing myself, but Qimage (Mike Chaney) claims good things for Deep Focus Sharpening. I've found he is a pretty straight shooter.

Adobe Bicubic Smoother

Qimage Vector

Ron AKA's gear list:Ron AKA's gear list
Sony RX100 Epson Stylus Photo R3000 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow