Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ranlee
Contributing MemberPosts: 669Gear list
Like?
G1XmkII - No need for Macro mode...
4 months ago

First, my version focuses just as close whether in Macro mode or not. In fact, it focuses even closer than specs. As close as 3cm (1.18") to the front (glass) of the lens instead of the 5cm (2") the manual states. This is at the 24mm equiv. FL.

At the long end mine focuses from 34.3cm (13.5") to infinity which is approximately 7.62cm (3") closer than the manual states. This is a good thing, and I'm happy about it!

Now for the second part: My testing shows that the only thing Macro mode does is limit focusing ability from 3cm to a maximum of approximately 3.5' (106.5cm) at 24mm equivalent. At the long end macro mode does nothing at all.

So I guess my question is, why is it even there? Am I missing something?  Why would I even want to limit the maximum focus at 24mm equiv. focal length or any focal length for that matter.  I simply will ignore macro from now on unless I really am missing something.

-- hide signature --

Randy

Ranlee's gear list:Ranlee's gear list
G1 X II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow